CHIA accepts nominations for the following award categories:
- Distinguished Member Award
- Literary Award
- Professional Achievement Award
- Educator Award
- HIM Industry Champion Award
- Rising Star Award
CHIA Award Recipients
Take a look at past CHIA Awards Recipients!
Nomination Deadline: February 28 (annually)
CHIA has a long and cherished tradition of honoring the excellence, dedication, and service of those professionals whose steadfast efforts have improved the health information management (HIM) field and/or have contributed to the professional development of others. The CHIA Recognition Awards are California-based in scope, recognizing those who make a difference in the HIM profession. CHIA developed the Recognition Awards as part of its commitment to encourage, nurture and celebrate exceptional volunteer and professional leadership. The CHIA Recognition Awards honor exemplary service, reward contributions that build the HIM knowledge base, recognize excellence in preparing future HIM professionals, and encourage new talent and leadership.
The nominations for each Recognition Award Category must be submitted using the CHIA Recognition Award Nomination form. Nominations must follow the nomination guidelines and must include the required supporting materials.
- All supporting documentation must have relevance to specific criteria requirements. The volume of material submitted is not important. Documentation should support what the nominee accomplished and specifically why the nominee is deserving of an award.
- The Nominator is responsible for ensuring that all required documentation is collected for the nominee. Missing material does not automatically remove a nominee from consideration, although incomplete submissions may adversely impact the committee’s ability to adequately and fully evaluate a nominee.
- Nominees for all awards must be CHIA members or CHIA Vendor Partners, with the exception of the HIM Industry Champion award which may be presented to an organization or individual which does not meet these criteria.
- Individuals who have previously won a particular award are not eligible to win that award again, even if it has been reformatted. They may, however, be nominated for a different award.
- A nominee may receive an award in a category for which he/she was not nominated as long as he/she meets the criteria for the award received.
- Nominees not selected will automatically be included for consideration in the first year following their original nomination. If not selected for an award in that next year, a new nomination will be required for the nominee to be considered for any award in any following year.
- All nomination materials become the property of CHIA. Materials cannot be returned.
- Members of the CHIA Awards Committee and the CHIA President are ineligible for awards during their term of office. CHIA Board of Directors members, except the CHIA President, are eligible for awards during their term of service. CHIA staff members are eligible for awards during their term of employment.
- Submit nominations on the CHIA Recognition Awards Nomination Form for Nominees and complete the form in its entirety.
- The nominee’s résumé or curriculum vitae is required.
- Submit other written material, such as articles, project descriptions and the like, only if it supports the specific accomplishment(s) made, e.g., copy page of article or publication.
- Provide two to four letters of support from others who can elaborate on:
- The nominee’s specific accomplishment(s)
- How the nominee has met the guidelines for the award for which they are being nominated, and
- Why the nominee is worthy of an award.
- Letters of support must be ’signed’ by the author and sent by fax, mail or via e-mail to authenticate and personalize the correspondence, preferably on letterhead.
CHIA Awards will be presented at the annual CHIA Convention & Exhibit. Award recipients are encouraged to be present to receive their award, but recipients may designate an individual to accept the award on their behalf.